|“||Don't lose your head. When you encounter a mountain, there will always be a way through.||”|
— Ling Wen
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Ling Wen has been noted to be starkly different to other female Heavenly Officials who wore fashionable and colorful robes or dresses. Instead, she instead chose to wear black robes without adornment, making her look serious and competent. She also seemed constantly tired, sporting prominent eye bags from working too hard. While she is depicted o have black hair in half-updo and dark eyes in the manhua, she's portrayed with silver hair and blue eyes in the donghua adaption.
In her strongest male form, Ling Wen is said to be impressively proper, clad in black robe and generously blessed with good looks. However, maintaining the male form takes a lot of spiritual energy and she couldn't keep using the appearance for long period of time.
Under Hua Cheng's daruma spell, she appears to be a dark blue daruma doll with exceedingly serious expression and holding tiny scrolls.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Ling Wen is a Civil God known for being peerlessly competent and effective in her work. She possess an eidetic memory, as seen by how she could memorize every single report that passed her desk, and an incomparable intellect capable of twisting any situation to her advantage in the blink of an eye. Ling Wen also also managed to see through a Calamity-ranked Ghost's disguise almost immediately. She was noted by Xie Lian to be very professional and emotionless when speaking.
Despite commonly depicted to be polite and capable of staying calm in any situation, Ling Wen displays a dry, sarcastic sense of humor that shone most visibly when she's with Xie Lian or, more prominently, with Pei Ming and Shi Wudu, her two closest friends. In front of the latter two she could be ruthless, laughing at their harmless misfortunes but would also show affection and worry on their behalf. 
The Palace of Ling Wen has many temples built in her name but most of these temples revered her as a male god because of the belief that a woman cannot become a good Civil Officer. This belief is also the reason Ling Wen is disliked by other civil gods who saw her as an upstart as at the time of her ascension, female Heavenly Officials, especially in the Civil department, are few in number and and has no other obligation than to grind ink, lay out paper and look pretty. Behind her back, they speculated Ling Wen gained her position through aggressive boot-licking, seducing the higher power, disguising herself as a man or a combination of all three. Her palace is commonly mocked as the "Palace of Worn Out Shoes" because of her past profession as a shoe-selling maiden.
Later on it is revealed that she is actually extremely cunning, cruel and merciless. In order to achieve her goals Ling Wen has no qualm with manipulating the situation and people around her.  She first betrayed Jing Wen, the Civil God who first appointed her as deputy, and then Bai Jing, the man she was hinted to love, and killed many other people for the sake of power. When it comes to revenge, Ling Wen would pull no stop to make whoever it is suffer. She was present in the heart of many scandals such as Shi Qingxuan's ascension and is responsible for the creation of the Brocade Immortal, a demonic robe that killed hundreds of mortals.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- By the end of the story she admitted that being a prisoner did better to her sleep schedule and stress level than being an active Heavenly Official.
- She got 7th place in the Battle of the Lanterns with 536 lanterns.
- Her palace is large and spacious but filled ceiling to floor with scrolls and official documents, a scene so terrifying other Heavenly Official would shudder just seeing it. The workers of her palace are noted to be so overworked they looked dead inside as they drag mountains of paperwork.
- Ling Wen created and is in charge of the Upper Court's communication array. The moment she abdicated, this array was taken out and caused an uproar among the Heavenly Officials.
- Despite being disliked by other Civil Gods, Ling Wen is respected by the Martial Gods.
- There are a few folktales that characterized her as female but in these folktales she would be a woman with no moral who seduced her way into power.