|“||To die in battle for Your Highness, that would be my greatest glory.||”|
— Hua Cheng
Hua Cheng (花城, Huā Chéng), also referred to as San Lang (三郎, Sān Láng), is the deuteragonist and main love interest in Heaven Official's Blessing.
Overview[edit | edit source]
As one of the Four Great Calamities, Hua Cheng is known as the richest and most dangerous of the three Devastation class Demons. One learns to fear the silver butterflies and blood rains for they are the heralds of his presence. He's also known as the Scourge of Heaven, Ghost King (鬼王, Guǐ Wáng) and Crimson Rain Sought Flower (血雨探花, Xuè Yǔ Tàn Huā).
His most famous moniker, Crimson Rain Sought Flower, was attained during his early days as a supreme. After he annihilated Qi Rong's lair and causing blood rain to fall, he found a lone white flower struggling under the heavy rainfall. Until the downpour ceased, Hua Cheng stood by this flower and shielded it from the rain with his red umbrella.
Just like any other ghost, Hua Cheng's only weakness is his ashes. Hua Cheng's ashes were modeled into a diamond ring that he entrusted to Xie Lian. When asked if his ashes were sufficiently protected, he stated that if the hiding place of his ashes were to be destroyed, then he would no longer have any reason to exist and might as well disappear.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
As a Supreme, Hua Cheng possesses an extremely powerful shape-shifting ability not even gods can see through. It's said that no one has ever seen his true form because he transformed so often.
Hua Cheng's true form is described to be extremely handsome and striking like a sharp sword. Skin white as snow and hair black as ink with a widow's peak on his forehead. He commonly wore maple-red robes with silver vambraces and black boots decorated with silver chains. A lock of hair is braided on the left side of his face with a red pearl and an eyepatch is worn over his right eye. Hua Cheng has Xie Lian's name tattooed on his left forearm. But no one can read this tattoo due to his hopelessly terrible handwriting.
Other forms also consist of his original body's younger selves. The first time he met Xie Lian after the third ascension, his appearance was about sixteen to fifteen, noted to be handsome in a boyish, devilish way. He wore casual clothes of high quality, consisting of the colours white and red in both manhua and donghua.
As Wuming, he was dressed in black robes and neat warrior attire. He had his hair tied up in a high ponytail and also wore a white smiling mask.
Personality[edit | edit source]
He is charismatic and intelligent, with a nonchalant attitude. He cares little for others and mostly acts in his own best interest. However, to Xie Lian he is very gentle, treating him with the utmost care and respect and offering him anything he desires. After the two get married, he has been shown to be a passionate lover and dislikes being away from Xie Lian.
Despite being a demon lord, he is not outright evil, seemingly neutral as he neither undertakes altruistic actions or engages in evil or barbaric acts. He seems to have a love of collecting rare treasures, having a large collection of antiques and priceless artifacts and weapons, some of which are thousands of years old. Ironically, he treats them rather poorly. He does not care when they are destroyed and has been shown to abuse or misuse them himself on occasion.
He is arrogant, though rightfully so as he is one of the most powerful characters in the series. Despite this, he does have a more vulnerable side. He is deeply insecure about his feelings and feels he is unworthy of Xie Lian's love but once he learns they are reciprocated, he is immensely joyful.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hua Cheng's nickname, San Lang, means "third son". It has several meanings; in-world, he is called this as he was the third son of his family and might be also connected to the fact that he fell from the tower during the third circuit of the parade during Xian Le's Lantern Festival. But meta-wise, Third Son is the continuation of an in-joke where all the main love interests of Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's novels have monikers that can be organized chronologically - Luo Bingge (Big Brother Luo) from Scum Villain Self-Saving System, Lan Er-ge (Second Brother Lan) from Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, and San Lang (Third son) from Heaven Official's Blessing. The main character of MXTX's fourth novel also follows this trend, the character having the nickname Si Shao (Fourth Young Master).
- In a meta sense, his moniker "Crimson Rain Sought Flower" (血雨探花) is also a reference; tanhua (探花, lit. flower snatcher) is the title of the overall third-place scorer of the ancient Chinese imperial examinations.
- Xuěyǔ (血雨) can also mean "heavy rain colored by loess sandstorm".
- Hua Cheng has notoriously bad handwriting, with Xie Lian often helping him practice
- Even though he is canonically one of the most handsome men in the novel, he sees himself as being ugly and deformed. MXTX confirmed this, saying that because in childhood he was often called an ugly beast, he grew up believing that. Only later on as he grew in power and fame did he began to doubt that he's actually ugly, but in front of Xie Lian, he would still feel lacking and thus hesitate in showing his true form to him.
- MXTX confirmed in an interview that out of the three main love interests in her novels, Hua Cheng has the best skills in bed.
- Hua Cheng is so powerful and influential that Jun Wu himself ordered the Heavens to not tread on his toes. Some said that Hua Cheng is the only one who can curse and insult the Heavenly Emperor without fearing any retribution.
- He is so unbearably rich that he would treat legendary, incomparably precious treasures like they're garbage from the local thrift shop.
- Xingtian Hu: The alcohol vessel that can absorb spiritual energy from the sky, earth, sun, and moon. Unrivaled in elegance and can help with cultivation. Although Xie Lian broke it, Hua Cheng didn't even bat an eyelid before throwing out the pieces and begin fussing over Xie Lian.
- Bahuang Brush: The legendary brush which tip was made from an ancient beast's tail, handle made from the finest jade bamboo, and green jade bamboo leaves will sprout if the brush is not used. Hua Cheng blamed his terrible handwriting on it, often calling it a bad brush and kicking it god-knows-where. It's up to Xie Lian to find it, pick it up and clean it as Hua Cheng doesn't care about it.
- "As Shi Qingxuan listed off dozens of suggestions, Xie Lian realized that the legendary and rare treasures he was talking about are all so familiar. And they're all so pitiable - they're either the stools Hua Cheng is using as footrest or the carpet on his floor. If it's not playthings he's using for his amusement, they're things he's thrown away, lost and gone."
References[edit | edit source]
- Heaven Official's Blessing, Book 1, Chapter 36: Admiring the Flower through Red Clouds; A Heart full of Sympathy
- Heaven Official's Blessing, Book 1, Chapter 14: Clothes Redder Than Maple, Skin as White as Snow
- Heaven Official's Blessing, Book 4, Chapter 192: White Clothed Ghost Appoints Black Warrior as General
- MXTX Interview - TGCF Questions (Translation)
- Heaven Official's Blessing, Extras, Chapter 252: The Ghost King's Birthday